In the full We Make platform that we’re preparing to launch, image posts can be discovered by craft (ceramics, woodworking, etc) and also by use type/environment. We’re calling this second grouping Collections.
To make Collections as helpful as possible we’re using common terms and keeping the list short (revised 04/10):
- Book & Paper
- Building Arts
- Clothing & Accessories
- Dining (or Kitchen & Dining)
- Field & Garden
- Home Decor (or Home & Living)
- Kitchen (or Kitchen & Dining)
- Tools & Workshop
In the near future we’ll plan to add: Bath & Body, Play (or similar—includes toys and instruments), and Making Supplies.
Note that when posting, a maker can select multiple Collections for a single post. You can also add individual tags to the post as a separate taxonomy. And, for later versions, we’re planning an advanced search feature that will draw on keywords from each post.
For now, we’re looking for answers to three questions:
1) As a maker, how do you feel about the way your work fits into these Collections?
2) How do these groups honorably include (or not) other handcrafted objects that come to mind?
3) Can you think of a different way of organizing Collections that might be helpful for us to consider?
Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses!